Being myself

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Me at school


Lazy…
That’s the word people frequently use in my reference. During initial years of life the poor word used to be all alone but as I grew up into a handsome hulk ( well redefine your vocabulary if you want to), my considerate friends had a serious discussion over the injustice being done to the innocuous word and finally managed to get it coupled with few nouns (bum, a** etc). Initially I felt offended about this and tried changing my sluggish habits by means of conscious efforts and had some initial success as well.

You can fight with destiny but can’t win over it.
But in the long run, my own-self scored over my very own efforts and I accepted the honored title with some resistance though. Time passed by and I cleared my high school board examinations with both my percentage and weight crossing just crossing seventy five mark. Well you don’t call those marks as good (especially when the school average is revolving around seventy nine) but the fact that I scored second highest in my group, only behind a dude with eighty nine percent was good enough to make our whole gang high on vodka.

The dude is Abhijit, popularly known as Abhi, my classmate since class 6th. He is fair, handsome, stands 5 feet 10 inches. If that is not enough for girls to pay attention to him, he was captain of school cricket team, was good in debates and owned a YAMAHA RX100. He had an amazing fan following, and he was occupied with girls and cricket practice. He stayed close to my place and despite his busy schedule made it a point to pick me up for school which usually made us missing the morning assembly. As per rules if we did that three times in a row (well we made HAT-TRICK at least 3 times a month) we spent our first period standing in the class. I was used to all this from very young days, but he wasn’t. For all this he would shout at me, create a scene but next morning he will be there at my gate again, honking and shouting. I didn’t quite understand the guy but I kind of liked him (and wished I was him!!!).

By this time I had the confidence that nothing in world can take away my laziness. After all how many of you can afford to miss your first date just because you felt sleepy, specially when you have been persuading her for last three years!!

To be continued…

2 Comments:

  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Aps said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Aps said…

    There are some stories which I can recollect from your intro (Not the A@@# J#$% waala). Seemed being lazy did not cost you much that time.

    On the writing part its a good start. Must remind everyone on his own school days. The assembly and even one escape from it gave you a better feeling than getting 10 on 10. Reaching late and then convincing the gate keeper to open the gate and acting innocent. :) Best motivator in those times used to be that soon you'll find 3 other classmates of yours standing out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home